Individual translator or Translation agencies?

Discussion in 'Translators and Agencies' started by FrankLeen, Nov 14, 2016.

Translations Agencies or Individual Translatos

1. Translation Agencies

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Individuals

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. FrankLeen

FrankLeen New Member

Since I am a translator myself and I have used both translation services(from Individuals and agencies) I think I am in a good position to give my opinion. Also, I realized that many people often struggle in making choice when it comes to this, so I had to consider it.

Let's just see it from both sides. Individual translators are certainly much cheaper but the thing I admire about them is that they create an environment for you to openly communicate with them and explain exactly what you want. For those with some business knowledge, this is called "Job costing". The idea is that it so flexible that you can easily be satisfied. But if you are looking to translate legal documents.. Oh well

In this case I think Translation agencies are better primarily because they can provide certifications and written proofs. Also, I am sure most organizations requiring translated legal documents ask for a certification, these days. But then these agencies are highly costly. That is justified to an extent because they can be fast and quality can be much higher...

I would love to know what you guys think about my opinion and what is your opinion? I am humble in both supporting and negative ideas, so feel free!

;) Hit the poll, lets see who wins!

P.S I am a fan of
    [​IMG]

2. AnneSimons

AnneSimons New Member

That is a good opinion. But you should have given some recognition to machine translation as well. Machine translation has been developed and improved a lot, since it was first introduced. Some softwares like Computer Aided Translation are actually very accurate and competitive to humans. Of course, machine translation has it's own gap, like understanding the tone, sarcasm, poetry. But besides that Machine translation is the 3rd to add to the list. Just a thought! Sorry if you think that is off the topic.

3. Frank Lester

Frank Lester New Member

Hi Frank, my name is also Frank. Haha! I personally prefer translation agencies. The reason is that most of the time I need to translate a document it is an official document since I am a Government employee as well. I need a source that is more reliable, and as you said can provide certifications. So I go for translation agencies. Also, I believe that translation agencies are not very expensive. Considering the fact that they take responsibility of the work and keep things systematic and timely, they charge a fair price. Mostly, they have highly skilled interpreters and proofreaders too, so the quality is great.

4. Hule Seon

Hule Seon New Member

In my case I had great experience with individual translators. Since for my work I don't really need proper certification, I just need information, It suits me best. I found a guy a few months ago who was a translator, he works great and I reach out to him every time I need any work translated. He is determined and friendly...There goes my vote!! :D

5. Lora Sam

Lora Sam New Member

My case is same is Hule. There goes my vote!
    Support individual translators! like us :D

6. Qudrat

Qudrat Moderator Staff Member

If it is about my opinion, I say that we need both. We should chose according to the situation. For any regular translation, for which you do not need certification, an individual translator should be fine but in case of legal documents or official files, it is suitable to go for translation agencies. But since you all are choosing one side, I will choose one as well. I say translation agencies are better!

7. John smith

John smith Member

My vote for translation agencies

8. athonywills

athonywills New Member

A very good opinion indeed.